Monday, August 18, 2008

CORNBREAD


~ Lucille Schneider, my grandma

1/2 c. butter
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/4 t. baking soda
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. unsifted flour
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in large pan. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Add cornmeal, flour and salt. Stir until well blended. Pour into greased 8-inch square pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Notes: I acquired a cast iron skillet in December 2014 and have made the cornbread in it successfully, but I always made it in other metal or glass pans before I got the skillet. I stick the cast iron pan in the oven while the oven's heating and pour the batter into a hot pan. I sometimes use whole wheat flour in this recipe. It freezes well. Just wrap it in foil to freeze, then thaw and warm (in the foil) before serving.

I have this recipe on allrecipes, where it can be found on their "Top 20" list. Check out this link to see what people think about it! Allrecipes also included an article about the recipe in the October 2014 issue of their magazine

Linked up at: Eat at Home Ingredient Spotlight - cornmeal 2011 & 2012


9 comments:

BETHANY said...

Left by Irene under another recipe:

i loved the cornbread. i bought more cornmeal today with the expectation of making many more batches in the days to come. thank you for the wonderful recipe.

grammie of 5 said...

Well, that is a scratch recipe and I will try, we love corn bread but just do easy Jiffy, BOO HISS. I will share with a friend who says she has the best recipe, but it's not on a website. lol
I figure if it's from your grandma it must be good.

Amy said...

I just made this recipe, and it turned out so well! My 3 year old is allergic to eggs. I've been trying the same egg substitute you use on other corn bread recipes for years, but none of them ever worked. I was inspired when I read that you had a recipe that worked with the substitution.

My only problem was that we've recently added a milk allergy to our family. I decided to use your recipe anyway, substituting olive oil for the butter and a lemon juice and rice milk mixture for the buttermilk. And then, just to make things more interesting, I used all of my baking soda on the egg substitute, so I used baking powder for the baking soda actually called for in the recipe.

After all of those substitutions, it still turned out really well. My 3 year old had never had corn bread before, but he loves it now. Thank you!

blue j said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Bethany. I made this for supper tonight. I also have allergies, and subbed a GF flour for the wheat, almond milk & lemon juice for the buttermilk, and a non-dairy margarine blend for the butter. It turned out A.MAZING! YUMMMMMM!

Anonymous said...

Bethany, do you know if anyone has tried this recipe with a gluten free flour blend? If so , how did it come out?
Thanks,
Donna Kundaje (from SL)

Bethany said...

Donna - I don't know if they have or not, but lots of our mutual friends have made it. You could ask on FB or skim through the allrecipes reviews (linked in my notes) to see if anyone has.

Actually, I think allrecipes has a section where people can put variations on a recipe, like when they make it GF. If you try it that way, then be sure to come back and let me know how it tasted. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bethany. I'll check it out!
Donna

Unknown said...

Dear Bethany, I found your cornbread recipe on AllRecipes but could not leave a comment because I am from EU :(

But I HAD to thank you for the wonderful cornbread that my family and I ate with a homemade chili!

I reduced all ingredients by half because I only needed a small batch, and replaced the buttermilk with milk and vinegar, before putting in the oven for 25 minutes: perfection!

Farhana Bithi said...

Thanks for this in-depth review. I was looking for information about this but didn't get any information what exactly
I am looking for. Fortunately, I come across to your website and it helps to make my decision.
It's really made my day.
Thank you again for this great article.