~ Sunset magazine - January 2003
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sweetened, flaked coconut
1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
3 T. sugar, divided
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. cold butter, cut into chunks
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. raspberry or cherry jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, oats, two tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter in until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Set one tablespoon of egg mixture aside, then stir remaining egg mixture into flour mixture until evenly moistened.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and and pat into an 8-inch round. Slide round onto a greased baking sheet and cut into eight wedges, leaving wedges in place.
- Brush the top of the wedges with reserved egg mixture, then sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Make a 1-inch-diameter depression on top of the wide end of each wedge and fill each with about 1/2 tablespoon jam.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Re-cut scones to separate and serve warm or transfer to a rack to cool completely.