Saturday, April 25, 2015

PEAR BUTTER


~ Cooking With Christen

10 pears
1 T. vanilla
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves

Coat inside of crockpot with nonstick spray. Peel, quarter, and core the pears, then place in crockpot. Add vanilla. Cook on low for 8 hours. Mash with fork, then add both sugars, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook on low for 6 hours. Leave chunky or use an immersion blender to puree.

Makes about 6 cups.

Notes: Since this takes so long, I start the crockpot for the first time when I go to bed, then mash the pears and add the second round of ingredients when I wake up. I usually need to cook it longer than six hours on the second round to get it thick enough to be considered pear butter instead of pear sauce, but it's not a problem when I'm home all day anyway. Although I've never tried it, I suppose I could make it more quickly on the stovetop. 

No comments: