Wednesday, August 20, 2008

TACO SOUP


~ Cheri Rogers

1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey or beef, browned
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 envelope taco seasoning or 2T. homemade taco seasoning
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
small pkg. frozen corn
1-2 t. cumin
2 c. water or broth

Place all ingredients in crockpot and mix thoroughly. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Notes: This freezes well and the quantities are totally flexible. I cook my own beans instead of using canned. It’s great served with sour cream, cilantro, avocado dressing, and/or a pan of cornbread.



6 comments:

Tiffany Larson said...

This is going in my crockpot tomorrow!

Ruby said...

Hi Bethany! I have this dish in the crockpot, and I am wondering if you've ever tried adding rice to it? I'm thinking it will stretch the meal.

BETHANY said...

Ruby - I've never added rice, though I'm sure it would taste good. I'd probably opt to serve the soup over rice, rather than mixing them together, so that the rice wouldn't soak up all the broth in the leftovers. But that's just personal preference. Let me know how it turns out! :)

Ruby said...

I thought about ladling the soup over the rice, too, but I was taking it to a potluck & didn't want to bring another dish! I ended up just adding more beans & it turned out great (I also cook my beans "from scratch" & freeze them.). It was nearly gone & I was asked for the recipe (I'll link to your blog!). I'll be bookmarking this one...I love "dump" recipes! I had the beans & meat all cooked & frozen, so it made it really easy to throw together. Thanks!

BETHANY said...

Ruby - I'm glad it was a hit!

liesl-lou said...

thanks, B!