Monday, February 9, 2009

THAI CHICKEN AND COCONUT RICE


~ Waiting For The Day - Sonlight Forums

2 14 oz. cans coconut milk, divided
2 c. water
1 t. salt
2 c. uncooked long grain rice
6 T. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. soy sauce
1-4 t. chili garlic paste (depends on how spicy you like things)
1/4 c. sesame oil
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed or sliced
6 green onions, sliced
2 medium red bell peppers, sliced thinly

Bring 2 cups milk, water and salt to boil. Stir in rice; cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes.

OR

Put 2 cups of milk, water, salt and rice in rice cooker and start cooking.

Meanwhile, whisk remaining milk, peanut butter, soy sauce and chili garlic paste until blended. Heat sesame oil in large skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes. Add chicken and stir-fry 5 minutes or until browned. Add onions and bell pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add peanut butter mixture and bring to boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Serve over rice.

Notes: If the coconut is super thick, then add extra water to the rice before you cook it. I leave the chili garlic paste out and let people add it to their individual servings instead. I like to add chopped peanuts as a garnish for some texture variety. 

4 comments:

The Boggs Family said...

This was YUMMY!!!!

BoundTogetherForGood said...

What is chili garlic paste and where in a grocery would I find it? TIA

BETHANY said...

BTFG - I get it in the Asian section of the regular grocery store, near teriyaki sauce, chow mein noodles, and coconut milk. Here's what the one I get looks like.

http://www.thehotsaucestop.com/huy-fong-fresh-chili-garlic-sauce/

Rebecca said...

I make this ALL the time, but apparently have never commented about it.
We all LOVE it!! I'm not sure I ever used chili garlic sauce before this recipe, and now I add it to other things.

Often I'll use a ton more peppers and onions to spread out the dish.