Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ZESTY CROCKPOT CHICKEN


~ Tiffany - Eat at Home & Sonlight forums

4 t. salt
2 t. paprika
1 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. onion powder
1 t. thyme
1 t. white pepper
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 whole chicken
1 large onion, thinly sliced

Clean the chicken and remove the giblets from the insides. Place the onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Mix all the spices together and rub all over the chicken. Place the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the onions. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-9 hours.

Notes: This makes your home smell wonderful while it's cooking! I never have white pepper, so I just use 1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper, and often chop the onions instead of slicing them. Sometimes I mix all the spices before I go to bed so that I can quickly season the chicken in the midst of getting my day started the next morning. It freezes well and the seasoned bones makes tasty broth when you add some extra water and let it cook for several hours. We enjoy eating this plain, in chicken spinach pasta, served over rice or couscous, used in zesty chicken green salad, or in quesadillas.



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I make something really similar that adds a julienned sweet red pepper. Although, I'm not sure if I'm recommending that because most of the time I think I would rather eat it raw (and if my 14yo smells me cutting it, she eats half before I get it in the pot!) than let it get cooked to smithereens in the slow cooker. :p