Friday, June 8, 2012

EASY DRIED BEANS


dried beans
water
salt (optional)

Put beans, water, and salt in crockpot.  Cook for 3-8 hours (see notes).

Notes: I've been making a combo of black and pinto beans in the crockpot for many years now. I used to make a double batch about every two weeks, freeze them in four cup increments in quart-sized freezer bags, and use them on Taco Tuesday and in any recipe that calls for pinto or black beans. As our family has grown, I now make a double batch at least once a week and rarely need to freeze them. I recently shared the recipe with my friend Maryanne. She liked them so much that she decided to try garbanzo beans in the crockpot. She said it worked, so I tried it. 

I always cook dried beans and freeze them for future use, rather than buying canned beans, but I always end up with many of the beans falling apart by the time all of them were cooked thoroughly. Not in the crockpot! I've now made garbanzo, Great Northern, and navy beans, all of which turned out perfectly tender and intact. I don't know why it never occurred to me to cook other beans in the crockpot, so I'm glad Maryanne experimented. 

Cooking times will vary, depending on the size of your crockpot, how many beans you're cooking, and what temperature you cook them on. I prefer to cook beans on low and mine take 6-8 hours for 6 cups of beans and a 5.5 qt. crockpot filled with water. 


No comments: