Tuesday, October 5, 2010

LEMONY SOUR CREAM MUFFINS


~ Parade magazine - July 10, 2010

2 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/8 t. lemon extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tin. 

In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients, including lemon zest, together. 

In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients, including lemon juice. Pour wet ingredients over dry and gently, but quickly, mix everything together until combined and slightly lumpy. 

Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden.

Makes 12 muffins.

Notes: We sometimes skip the zest and use bottled lemon juice. We also like to replace the vanilla with extra lemon extract.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound great, Bethany! I will definitely be trying these once I get to the store for either a lemon or bottled lemon juice. My youngest dd made some of her homemade lemonade "recipe" for her younger brothers while her big sister was babysitting. There was almost a full bottle and now it's all gone ;-)

Kama :)

Sandy said...

I'm making these for Joe's Men's Bible Study tomorrow!

Stephanie said...

For a lower fat version, yogurt can be substituted in place of the sour cream. Still delicious!

becca said...

So I love this recipe, but I needed to make it a bit healthier so I don't have to worry about dying happy while eating them :) Here were my changes:

flour (half ww and half ap)
sour cream (reduced fat/ff)
2 large eggs (three egg whites)
1 stick unsalted butter (applesauce)

I might try using Greek yogurt next time in place of the sour cream. I like the thickness of Greek to exchange in baking recipes that call for sour cream. Thanks again Bethany for all the yummy recipes!